½ cup Real Greek Kalamata PDO Olive Oil
2 pounds spinach, washed and drained
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, chopped
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ pound Real Greek Feta PDO cheese, crumbled
1 to 2 eggs, lightly beaten
14 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
1 ½ – 2 cups Real Greek Kalamata PDO Olive Oil for the painting of the phyllo dough
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the Real Greek Kalamata PDO Olive Oil in a large saute pan, add half of the spinach and saute until spinach wilt, about 2 minutes. Remove spinach and squeeze out excess liquid, then chop roughly. Repeat with remaining spinach, using 1 more tablespoon of olive oil. Pour off any liquid from the pan, and add the remaining Real Greek Kalamata PDO Olive Oil.
- Add scallions and saute until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach to the scallions, along with the parsley, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, then remove from heat to cool. Stir the Real Greek Feta and beaten egg to moisten the cooled spinach mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on the bottom of the dish and paint with Real Greek Kalamata PDO Olive Oil. Top with another sheet of phyllo dough and paint again with Real Greek Kalamata PDO Olive Oil. Repeat this process until you have a total of seven sheets of phyllo dough. Spread all of the spinach mixture over the top of the last layer of dough. Then repeat the process of the remaining layering. Place one sheet of phyllo over the spinach mixture and paint it with the Real Greek Kalamata PDO Olive Oil. Repeat with the remaining seven sheets of dough, painting each new layer with the Real Greek PDO Kalamata Olive Oil, making sure to use enough olive oil on the top layer. Bake at 375°F until the top is golden brown (about 45 minutes).
- Cut spanakopita into small triangles.